Thursday, October 20, 2011

What begins with an A?

Yep. Just about have the whole thing memorized. Just try me.


     I can't read. Well, technically I am fairly literate but I physically can not read a book cover to cover unless it's Dr. Suess's ABC book. 'Big A, little a, what begins with an A? Auntie Annies alligator. A...a...A.'


It's uncanny the similarities between Auntie Annie and and Baby Girls Granna Anna.


 Now don't get me wrong, I love reading to Baby Girl. She's just recently started to get into it and I love when she toddles over to hand me a book and awkwardly tries to figure out how to sit down in my lap. I don't mind that she only wants me to read the same three books to her over and over again, all. day. long. I do however miss reading a book for my own pure enjoyment. I even bought myself a Kindle for Christmas last year in the hopes that my new gadget would get me excited enough to read a book. How many books have I loaded onto my Kindle? Four! How many of those four have I completed? Zero! And it's not like I'm trying to fit in a few chapters of Ulysses or War and Peace before bed, I'm choosing easy reads. I think I got one chapter into Tina Fey's Bossypants, which I assumed would be a quick fun read, temporarily forgetting that nothing is quick or fun when a toddler is screaming at you to play peek-a-boo. I had almost entirely forgotten that I even had the Kindle until I stumbled upon it in our living room fire place. I don't even remember deciding the fireplace was the best place for me to keep it, thats how little I think about it. So, as a sign of respect to this abandoned device, I'm pledging to wipe the sticky goo from its beautiful screen (again, no recollection that my hands were covered in jelly the last time I touched or maybe licked it) and finish reading Bossypants before Baby Girls starts college.


'Big Z, little z, what begins with a Z? A Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz, as you can plainly see.'

3 comments:

  1. Last "adult book" i read was Jimmy Fallon's Thank You Notes

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNL alum seem as good a place as any to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie Annie (Granna Anna) feels privileged to be included!

    ReplyDelete